Mill Operator - Alliance Tubular Products
Job Description Summary
Alliance Steel is a growing full-service steel processing company, diversifying into steel tubing production. We are seeking a first-shift Mill Operator for our Gary, IN location to oversee our new tube-making equipment. The Mill Operator will manage the daily production and oversee the quality and tracking of daily output.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adherence to Alliance Steel’s company rules, safety policies, and housekeeping regulations.
- Understanding of and adherence to Alliance Steel’s mission statement, values, and quality guidelines.
- Ability to follow and execute the production schedule.
- Follow qualitative procedures so the product can be tested and documented during production.
- Coordinate with and direct all other tube mill department associates as it relates to the review and sequencing of work orders to be produced.
- Operate tube mill drives, high-frequency welder, and mill ancillary systems (coolants, lubricants, OD scarfing, etc.) to ensure optimal performance and run speeds. Exceptions to this may include required adjustments for safety, quality, or operating issues necessitating stoppage or slowing of the process for resolution.
- Choose and install the correct, consumable supplies, such as impeders and high-frequency work coils, then locate them in their correct positions to maximize HF welder efficiency. Perform safety training, audits, and daily coaching so our team is safe and accident-free.
- Monitor the tube-making process – balancing motors, ensuring HF welder operates at maximum efficiency; mill coolants are on and at correct incoming temperatures; lubricating systems are on and operating at correct flow rates.
- Determine the correct OD scarfing tools to remove the weld bead properly.
- Lead daily housekeeping activities and allocate team members equally and appropriately to ensure continuing improvement towards a world-class appearance and maintain the daily desired state.
- Initiate and lead mill sizing changes. Adjust tooling according to qualitative requirements.
- Forward-looking, set up, and operating line inspection devices such as weld alignment, Eddy Current testing, and inkjet (stenciling) equipment.
- As directed by the Plant Manager, manage and oversee assigned personnel. Make decisions in accordance with the organization’s policies, handbook, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include the training of employees and the planning, assigning, and directing of their work. This also includes appraising the employees’ performance, rewarding them, addressing complaints, and resolving issues.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be able to follow verbal instructions and training.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE High School Diploma and 3–5 years experience in tube manufacturing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT described here are representative of those that must be met/encountered by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, Life Insurance, 401k, Employee Assistance Program, PTO, referral program
Preferred Skills/Requirements: High school diploma and 5-10 years experience in tube manufacturing
Pay: Salary to commensurate with experience
- Healthcare Benefits
- Competitive Wages
- PTO Days
- Paid Holidays
- Competitive 401K
We consistently improve our equipment and facilities while providing employees with an honest and helpful working environment.
Alliance Steel is an equal-opportunity employer. We strive to create a workforce as diverse as the communities in which we work, live, and support. If you are bilingual, we encourage you to apply.