Alliance Steel is a growing full-service steel processing company, diversifying into steel tubing production and manufacturing. We are seeking a Plant Manager for our Gary, IN, location to oversee our new tube-making equipment. The Plant Manager will be responsible for managing a greenfield tube operation's start-up and overseeing the daily operational activities. The position will also have responsibility in our manufacturing area.
- Oversee the installation of the direct form mill and establish SOPs based on manufacturer training.
- Assist in the creation of production protocols and train employees in best practices.
- Implement qualitative procedures so products can be tested and documented during production.
- Establish preventative maintenance procedures in accordance with equipment manufacturers' guidance.
- Create a critical parts list and consumable KanBan quantities to optimize mill uptime.
- Lead, manage, and report daily production and quality requirements. Assist operators and employees in troubleshooting as necessary. Coach and mentor team members on properly operating equipment, tooling, and quality requirements. A strong understanding of customer requirements will be developed so quality decisions can be made to prevent rejections and claims.
- Train and cross-train team members continuously to ensure skill levels are proficient and equalized within their respective positions. Meet expectation deadlines of training timelines.
- Perform safety training, audits, and daily coaching so our team is safe and accident-free.
- Manage a safe and efficient flow of all material produced so labor allocation and usage align with productivity goals, including evaluating right-sizing teams each shift. Address and correct productivity delays so they are not a repeat issue. Minimize gap and downtime and maximize uptime time.
- Lead daily housekeeping activities and allocate labor equally and appropriately to ensure continuing improvement towards a world-class appearance and maintain daily desired state.
- Assist as needed and coordinate the repair and maintenance of equipment as required.
- Ensure consistent timeliness of loading and unloading to avoid delays in inbound material removal and outbound shipments by the team. Included will be the correct shipment to our customers at all times by the training team to perform cross-checks and follow instructions on the material loaded.
- Set employee schedules, complete required production through the enterprise software, and review daily attendance punches for accuracy. Foresee and address overtime causes. Approve or assist in weekly approval of hours.
- Learn and lead improvement on required business management/production metrics as a requirement of the position. Additionally, train team members so they understand their responsibilities to the metrics. E., mill run rate, loading efficiencies, on-time delivery, etc. Employees should understand huddle board information and how to interpret it.
- Ensure customer specifications are being met on all produced, inbound, and outgoing products as a result of auditing, training, and coaching throughout each shift. This will include correct packaging, labeling, dimensional tolerances, defect-free products, etc
- Work as a leader, team member, resource, and/or coach and maintain required Lean and Visual Factory areas, including 5S, KanBan, daily task boards, housekeeping matrices, pull systems, shipping lanes, staging, etc. Continuous improvement project participation is required.
- As directed by the Operations Manager. Manage and oversee assigned personnel. Make leadership decisions in accordance with the organization’s policies, handbook, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include the training of employees and the planning, assigning, and directing of their work. This also includes appraising the employees’ performance, rewarding them, addressing complaints, and resolving issues.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be able to follow verbal instructions and training.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Described here are representative of those that must be met/encountered by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This position will report to the Vice President of Operations.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE High School Diploma and 5– 10 years experience in tube manufacturing.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Previous managerial/director-level maintenance experience.
- Healthcare Benefits
- Competitive Wages
- PTO Days
- Paid Holidays
- Competitive 401K
We consistently improve our equipment and facilities while providing employees with an honest and helpful working environment.
Alliance Steel is an equal-opportunity employer. We strive to create a workforce as diverse as the communities in which we work, live, and support. If you are bilingual, we encourage you to apply.