What is Laser Cutting?
Laser cutting is a method of cutting a profile from metal using a highly focused laser to melt material in a localized area. The laser beam focuses on the material surface to burn, vaporize, or melt materials to produce desired outcomes. Since laser cutting is an extremely precise and accurate process, the cuts it creates require very little deburring, making fabricating components with intricate details easier.
Advantages of Sheet Metal Laser Cutting
Laser cutting is a thermal cutting process often used in sheet metal processing. It is one of the most effective methods for cutting sheet metal. Laser cutting has many benefits; the fully automated CNC-programmed movements ensure repeatable tolerances are consistent every time. Other benefits include:
- High Precision – Alliance Steel's fiber lasers cut material with high precision to create smooth, sharp, and clean edges. Our fiber lasers can make small, intricate cuts while holding to strict tolerances.
- Cutting Versatility – Our fiber lasers are highly flexible and versatile. They function well for cutting operations such as marking, etching, and complex geometry. Our fiber lasers can cut various materials, including most metals, making them ideal for sheet metal fabrication projects.
- Speed – Fiber lasers are one of the most effective options in sheet metal fabrication. The speed is dependent on the thickness and geometry of the part. Fiber lasers can obtain speeds up to 2600 inches per minute.
- Low Cost – Our fiber lasers are equipped with automation. Automation reduces the labor content of our parts and makes the process more efficient, minimizing interruptions in the cutting process.
What Metals Can Lasers Cut?
Metal laser cutting minimizes component deformation and failure. Lasers can cut through many materials and are typically used on the following:
- Hot Rolled Steel
- Cold Rolled Steel
- Coated Steel
- Hot Dipped Galvanized Steel
- Electrogalvanized Steel
- Aluminized Steel
- Galvannealed Steel
- Galvalume Steel
- Pre-Paint Steel
Alliance Steel has an industry leading inventory. If we don’t have what you need in stock, our team will work tirelessly to get it to you. As a trusted flat-rolled steel service center, you can have confidence in the products we deliver.
What is the Maximum Thickness a Laser Can Cut?
At Alliance Steel, we have multiple fiber lasers in-house. Some of our fiber lasers can cut with Nitrogen, which runs faster and produces an oxide-free edge.
Our three fiber lasers can process up to 1” thick mild steel with a maximum sheet size of 60” x 120”. As a result, each laser provides enhanced cutting quality while holding tighter tolerances and efficiency.
Our Fabrication team uses the latest software to nest parts to maximize sheet utilization. In addition, our state-of-the-art facility offers cut-to-length and stretcher leveling underneath the same roof, allowing us to offer custom lengths on sheet metal to reduce scrap.
Laser Cutting Services for Sheet Metal
Applications requiring sheet metals cut to strict dimensional tolerances or with small heat-affected zones for future processes can benefit from Alliance Steel’s sheet metal laser cutting services and cut parts. Laser cutting services include:
- Quick quotes
- Short lead times
- 60" x 120" sheet capacity
- CNC laser cutting accuracy and speed
- Nitrogen options for clean, polished edges
Metal laser cutting minimizes component deformation and failure. For more information about our laser cutting services, contact Alliance Steel. Delivering products that meet customer expectations is our top priority.